Skip to main content

Building Department


Kenmore Municipal Building – Room 17
2919 Delaware Avenue
Kenmore, New York  14217

Office Hours

8 AM – 4 PM M-F


Telephone: (716) 873-5700
Facsimile: (716) 873-0004

Farmers Market every Sunday 9 AM - 1 PM. Children’s Concert series at KJSH (formerly KMS) 7/23 6:15 PM. Discover Kenmore 7/27

The Village is ever mindful of the importance of maintaining properties in Kenmore’s 100+ year old community. Inspections are made to assure that properties are kept up and in compliance with all applicable regulations. Notices are sent to advise owners and residents of any items needing to be addressed.

In addition to inspections, the Building Department is also responsible for issuing building permits, inspecting construction work, approving and issuing sump pump certificates, issuing Certificates of Compliance, Electrical and Plumbing permits, and sign permits.

Michael D. Berns
Building Inspector

Patrick VanDewater
Plumbing Inspector

John Dollendorf
Plumbing Inspector

Inspection Times


Please contact the Building Department to schedule an appointment or an inspection.


Monday- Friday – Please call the Building Department 24- 48 hours in advance to schedule your inspection.


Monday- Friday – Please call the Building Department 24- 48 hours in advance to schedule your inspection.


Fridays 9 AM – 11 AM, 1 PM – 3 PM

Frequently Asked Questions

    To secure a building permit, the applicant must submit plans, stamped/certified by a licensed professional engineer or architect, and three (3) copies of a property survey. Electrical and plumbing permits may be required as well. Commercial additions and new buildings require prior site plan approval.
    A permit is required for a driveway. A copy of a survey is required. All driveways must be properly pitched so as not to drain onto the adjacent property.
    You must obtain a fence permit in all instances, whether it be a new installation or a replacement installation. In order to complete the permit, you will need to provide information pertaining to the location, height and material of the fence. Three (3) copies of your survey print must accompany the permit application. Please note that fences located between houses cannot be located closer than 3 feet from the neighboring house.
    Under NYS law, there are restrictions on the use of open burning and recreational fires. Under the Code, no recreational fire can be conducted within 25 feet of a structure or combustible material. In addition, there is a prohibition for any open burning “that will be offensive or objectionable because of smoke or odor emissions…”. Please be aware of these restrictions if you have a fire pit.
    A building permit is required, as well as Three (3) copies of the property survey, indicating the size and location of the garage. Detached garages must be located no closer than 3 feet from the side and rear property lines or closer than 6 feet from any other building on the lot. Detached garages cannot exceed 660 square feet or an average height of 12 feet.
    Under the International fire code, Sec. 308.1.4, Open flame cooking devices shall not be operated on combustible balconies.  The only exception is that grills can be placed on balconies of 1 and 2 family dwellings only.
  • RATS
    If you see a rat, please call the building department as soon as possible. While the Village cannot bait your property, we will contact the County Animal Control Division and check for possible sources. You can help your neighborhood stay rat-free by following some simple steps (click here).
    All re-roofing requires a permit. No more than two (2) layers of roofing can be installed on any roof.
    Permits are required for all sheds and utility buildings, as well as a survey indicating the location and size of the shed.
    These detectors must be installed whenever a permit is issued for interior work to a structure. Smoke detectors are required on each floor level, each bedroom and in the common hallway to the bedrooms. Carbon Monoxide detectors are required on any level where there is a sleeping area.
    Both a building permit and electrical permit are required for the installation of both above- and in-ground pools, as well as for spas and hot tubs. Please note that before any action can be taken by the Building Department, the owner must have the pool location staked and contact National Grid (1-800-642-4272) and request a Planner Review for Pool Clearance. National Grid will issue a letter of approval, which must be delivered to Building Department along with the permit.
    Whenever a Building permit application is denied by the Building Inspector due to restrictions found in the Kenmore Municipal Code Zoning section, the applicant may appeal this determination and apply for hearing before the Kenmore ZONING BOARD OF APPEALS. The application fee that accompanies the request for a hearing is $50.00 for residential properties and $100.00 for commercial properties