Skip to main content

Freedom of Information

You can request information from the government under FOIL.  Requests are made in writing and are accepted by mail or email.  All requests must include the applicant’s name, address, and phone number, as well as what information is being requested.  Requests must be legible and specific.  For example, if you are requesting a fire report, you should include the address and date (or approximate date, if the exact date is unknown).

The Clerk/Treasurer serves as Record Officer for the Village.  The Clerk/Treasurer will respond to the Request within five (5) business days from receipt of the written request.

Please note that some requests may be denied, if the request falls within the excluded information requests outlined in the law.  The Records Access Officer is charged with determining whether a request for information will be accepted or denied.

Under the Freedom of Information Act, the Village can only provide records in its possession.  We cannot create records, not already in existence.  Nor are we responsible to obtain records held by other agencies.

There is a charge of $0.25/page for hard copies.  Checks are made payable to the “Village of Kenmore”.

Requests made through email will be responded to and delivered via email, unless the records are too large to send electronically, in which case you will have to pay to receive these documents.

Please note that if your application request is denied, you have a right to appeal.  To appeal, you must provide a signed request for appeal.  The Records Access Officer must then provide a full explanation of the reason for denial within seven days of receipt.