Main Menu

Contact Information

Village of Kenmore
2919 Delaware Avenue
Kenmore, NY 14217
 This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
(716) 873-5700
(716) 873-0004

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Flooding and Drainage Problems

When trying to figure out how to respond to a flooding or drainage problem, first identify the source of the problem by asking these questions:


Is there water coming through the basement walls or floor?

If water is coming through basement or lower level walls or through the concrete floor, the issue is likely related to groundwater.


Is there water coming from your floor drain or into your bathtub (toilet, wash tub, etc.)?

If water is backing up from a floor drain, lower level toilet, or lower level shower or bathtub, it is possible the issue is related to a sanitary sewer backup.


Is there water flowing into your home through a door or window?

If there is water flowing into the structure, the issue may be related to surface water flooding or localized drainage.


Is there water standing in your yard or flowing through your yard?

If the concern centers around water ponding, or standing, in part or a yard, or water flowing onto a property from adjacent property, the issue is likely related to localized drainage.  There may be a problem with your bubbler system.


Once you determine the nature of the issue, take the appropriate action:


Surface Water Flooding

If surface water is actually flowing into a structure, immediately call the Department of Public Works (DPW) at 875-0527. The DPW will evaluate the situation as soon as possible and take appropriate action.



The Village is not responsible for groundwater issues. If your basement is prone to groundwater flooding, make sure all valuables and electronics are placed sufficiently high enough to stay dry.  

You should also check with your insurance agent to find out if your homeowners insurance covers basement flooding.


Sanitary Sewer Backup

If your sanitary sewer is backing up, immediately call the DPW at 716- 875-0527. The DPW will evaluate the situation as soon as possible and take appropriate action if it is an issue with the Village’s main line.

The property owner is responsible for back-ups resulting in blockages between the house and the sewer main.

If this situation is encountered outside of normal business hours, continue to call the Kenmore Police Department at 716-875-1234 and they will contact on-call DPW staff.


Localized Drainage Issues

The Village is responsible for storm water runoff when it enters the street. Each property owner is responsible for drainage within their property.

Common causes of ponding or standing water in a yard include frozen ground, Very dry ground due (lack of rain over a period of time), saturated ground, or blocked pipes (tree roots, gardens, fences, landscaping, sheds, etc.).

If standing water is a result of actions by adjoining property owners, an owner who is improperly directing water to another’s property may be violating State and local Property Maintenance Codes. Contact the Building Department at (716) 873-5700 to request an inspection. 

If the issue is not a Property Maintenance Code issue, the two property owners are responsible for working the issue out.


How Property Owners Can Help

See How Property Owners Can Help on the Inflow & Infiltration web page.



  • DPW (716) 875-0527
    M-F 7 AM – 3 PM

  • KPD (716) 875-1234
    Before 7 AM or after 3 PM.

Who's Online

We have 110 guests and no members online

Meetings / Events Calendar

Last month December 2023 Next month
week 48 1 2
week 49 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
week 50 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
week 51 17 18 19 20 21 22 23
week 52 24 25 26 27 28 29 30
week 1 31
Last month January 2024 Next month
week 1 1 2 3 4 5 6
week 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
week 3 14 15 16 17 18 19 20
week 4 21 22 23 24 25 26 27
week 5 28 29 30 31

Upcoming Events

19 Dec 2023;
07:30PM -
Board Meeting
25 Dec 2023;
Christmas Day
26 Dec 2023;
06:00PM -
Planning Board